FOCUS on New Haven takes place in and around New Haven, but our central meeting place is on Old Campus (the quadrangle where most first-year students live). All FOCUS participants will be living together in suites in Old Campus dorms for the duration of the program, but these will not be the same suites they will live in for the rest of the year. Therefore, it is recommended that participants only bring a suitcase with items they will need for FOCUS (see packing list below). Parents of members of the Class of 2021 are encouraged to bring participants' other belongings to New Haven on official First-Year Move-In Day: Friday, August 25. FOCUS will finish the morning of Friday, August 25. Students will stay in their Old Campus FOCUS dorms Thursday night and be able to move into their permanent campus housing first-thing in the morning on Friday, August 25.
The residential colleges will open to rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors on Wednesday, August 23, so upperclassmen participants will move out of their Old Campus dorms and into their permanent residences on Wednesday morning.
Everyone is welcome to bring all of their belonging on August 19 and store them in their temporary Old Campus common rooms until they move into their permanent residences for the year.
Students travelling to New Haven on Friday, August 18 will need to arrange a place to stay that night. Some hotels within walking distance of campus include the Courtyard Marriott at Yale, the Omni Hotel, the Quinnipiack Club, and the New Haven Hotel.
1. Twin XL sheets and blanket. We recommend buying your own twin XL sheets and blanket (easily accessible at Target and Bed, Bath, and Beyond). We discourage participants from using the bedding service Yale provides because that service does not allow you to pick up your bedding a week early for pre-orientation programs.
2. Pillow + pillow case
3. A small fan for your room (Old Campus dorms don't have air conditioning)
4. Sunblock + bug spray
5. Comfortable clothes and shoes that you can stand/walk in all day and don’t mind getting dirty
6. Nice clothes and shoes for a semi-formal dinner Thursday night
7. Toiletries and menstrual products for the week
9. Water bottle
12. Any snacks that you can’t live without